Thinking of studying exercise science? Our purpose-built laboratories are fitted with modern equipment to ensure you’re highly trained by giving you opportunities to gain valuable hands-on experience.
Used extensively for research and teaching, the facilities invite a wealth of research opportunities, not just in the sporting arena but in clinical settings and for industry. One of the areas we focus on is injury prevention and performance at all levels of activity, helping people to perform at an optimum level in their day-to-day lives and on the sporting field.
Exercise Physiology Laboratory
This laboratory can test a wide range of physiological variables through a range of equipment, including:
- integrated climate and altitude chamber, capable of simulating extreme environmental conditions consistent with many sport and occupation settings
- two metabolic testing systems
- Monark, Wattbike and Velotron cycle ergometers
- ECG systems.
The Performance Laboratory is used for biomechanics and motor control research and teaching. It includes:
- a 12 Camera Qualisys Motion Capture System
- in-ground Kistler Force Plates
- 8 lead Noraxon Telemetered EMG System
- high speed video cameras
- vision occlusion glasses
- 50m running track
- fully adjustable netting enabling the analysis of striking sports.
Rehabilitation, Strength and Conditioning Laboratory
This laboratory features:
- a HumacNorm Isokinetic Dynamometer
- swift timing gate technology
- a fully equipped gym with Olympic lifting facilities.